Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Week 26 – “I found the photo of the friend that I was looking for…”

(As I was posting this, I realized that my Week 16 post from December never went up properly, but it’s there now. Check it out!)

I’ve already been living at AnHouse, the student house for the Anglican Chaplaincy at the University of Cape Town, for over a month now. In that time, I have watched the house come alive as the students return and a new school year begins.  With O-Week long complete, we’re starting to settle into our weekly routine.  Last Tuesday night, I began what will become a weekly routine: 9:00pm evening prayer or compline in the AnHouse lounge. Even more exciting, on Wednesday, we had our first evening Bible Study.  We read John 11, the story of the death of Lazarus.  It led into this really interesting conversation about resurrection and afterlife and purgatory; one of my housemates even covered his face and started laughing because if made him think of an episode of South Park where Michael Jackson’s in purgatory. Life after death, Michael Jackson and South Park!?!?! To think, this was only our first week! What might we cover with an entire semester?

In other news, last night I joined my housemates in attending my first rugby match! It was a short walk up the hill to the University of Cape Town’s Upper Campus to watch their team, the Ikey Tigers, conquer the Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University Mandibas.   Rugby’s similar in many ways - from what I have made of it so far – to football, but the fact that they don’t have pads (yikes!) makes it also remind me of wrestling a little as they all pile up trying to grab the ball.  The rugby rule that seems the strangest to me - as an American used to watching the very occasional football game – is that you can’t pass the ball forward towards the goal. You can only pass sideways or behind you.  Another thing I learned about rugby: it’s played in two 35-40 minute halves with a 10 minute half-time that lacks both a marching band and cheerleaders. Like football, after a touchdown (although I’m not entirely sure it’s called a touchdown in rugby), teams get to kick for the extra point.  I still have a lot to learn about this rugby stuff, but I would go again. My housemates were good company and the ones who knew what was going on were very helpful in trying to convey it to me.

Here are some pictures of us at the game and then back at the house celebrating our housemate David’s birthday:
My First Rugby Game

 In closing, I want to that all of you who have supported my journey and who have taken time to follow it.  Once upon a time, long long before I thought I might take this journey, when I was in high school at the great Watchung Hills, I had the pleasure of managing the Watchung Hills Warrior Wrestling team.  While being a stat girl seems like a past life to this missionary, there are things that I will always carry with me from that long ago chapter.  The reason that I’m writing all this to you is that I would as you faithful readers to check out the story of someone I knew from those days and to send some extra prayers and love and light in the direction of his family today most especially. Here is his site, his blog, & his story.

2 comments:

  1. AnSoc House sounds great, and learning Rugby sounds fun, but your remembrance of Carl is what touched me most. I followed your links. The post from his father brought tears to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is often said, mainly in the countries where portraits of Elizabeth still hang in government offices (as is the case in SA, I'm told), that American-style football is rugby for sissies. Albeit, big ones.

    I've always found the game to be very engrossing to watch and it gives a strong impression, to me at least, of having more action, and smarter strategy, than "football". It is also featured prominently in the storyline of the 2009 film "Invictus".

    I'll never forget where I was, what the day was like, and what I was doing - nor will I forget my reaction - when you called me from the match, to tell me about Carl's tragic fall. Once again, I'm saddened to hear that a miracle has not taken place *yet* to restore even some of Carl's lost mobility. Occasionally I find myself, anxiously and hopefully, searching the 'net for updates on his situation and related medical technology and news.

    During these searches, as is the case with following your links, above, I find myself reading the resulting pages through blurred vision. I'm encouraged, though not surprised, to see that Carl has managed to find a way to pursue his dreams despite the obstacles that have been placed in his path. Even with all the challenges he faces each and every day, he continues to be a courageous example for all of us.

    He remains *the* Ultimate Warrior.

    Love and xoxoxxxoxox,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete