Monday, December 6, 2010

Week 14 – “O come, desire of nations bind in one the hearts of all mankind…”

…And what were you thankful for this year?


I can appreciate how wonderful my life is without trying to count my blessings and running out of fingers… and toes. While I may have been an ocean and more away this year from the distinctly American day, that only made it easier to leave behind the not-so-great parts when Amanda and I decided to share the holiday with our new friends here in Cape Town. For instance, in my mind, Thanksgiving is about being thankful, spending time with family, consuming gluttonous amounts of turkey and pumpkin pie, and starting the holiday season – my favorite time of year. I felt no longing in my heart for the missed opportunities of Black Friday, the over-crowded airports and interstates, and the holiday’s swept-under-the-rug history.

Let me tell you a little bit about how my Turkey Day was spent here in Cape Town… After picking up some supplies, Amanda and I headed over to her apartment to cook our first turkey and a delicious batch of cornbread dressing. Since the bird and its dressing were reserved for our Thanksgiving feast on Friday, Amanda and I celebrated the day with a dinner of turkey sandwiches with cranberry sauce, KinderEggs, and cinnabons (the original)! While the bird was in the oven, we passed the time with a marathon of all the Home Improvement Thanksgiving episodes! Our culinary adventures lasted the better part of the day, but I still made in home in type to skype with my family. It was so wonderful to see all of their smiling faces or, in the case of the Box branch, hear their voices and the accents of home. I think the most vivid reminder of why I bought my webcam would have to be when my five-year-old cousin Daniel showed me the Thanksgiving turkey he made at school – ‘cause you just can’t do that stuff over the phone!





Friday morning, we made the mashed potatoes and green beans and then headed over to the Hope Africa office to serve our friends. In addition to our work, Suzanne made some scrumptious pies (apple and pumpkin) and her friend Peggy made some delicious gravy. Then, we served the whole glorious meal to a dozen of our friends at Hope Africa. As a thank you, they bought us Dr Pepper – a rarity in South Africa and an American staple I had never actually tried before (but there’s no time like the present). Between courses, we even went around the table to all say something we were thankful for. While I thought lovingly of my family back home, I couldn’t have wished for a better South Africa Thanksgiving!






Thanksgiving in Cape Town!!!!

Later that week, I helped out with a Christmas party at Bishopscourt, the home/offices of the Archbishop of Cape Town (ie the Presiding Bishop of the Province of Southern Africa). Suzanne organized a party for the children in Anglican homes around the Cape Town area – all 160 of them. It was a ruckus – a wonderful exhausting funny rewarding ruckus. There was food and games and swimming and lots of exhausting helpers, but even after lots of preparation and managing long lines of children wanting lunch or popcorn, even seeing all the games they played, the best moments were when I actually got to talk to the kids. They were so sweet and so appreciative of the party. It warmed my heart and filled me with holiday spirit

1 comment:

  1. I read your last enty, went to Picasa and came back to find this! Yes, it is like an early Christmas. It sounds like they are keeping you busy, but you are having a great time. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete