Thursday, October 21, 2010

Week 8 - “A heart that beats - an incredible machine made of blood and love and hope and lust and steam calling…”

Some habits are easier to break than others. While I do not anticipate or desire any changes to my caffeine habit (mmm English Breakfast tea), I know that this habit would be a hard one to alter (hence why I travel with tea – seriously). Here’s a habit I figured would be harder to break: associating October with autumn and associating 25 degrees with cold. Just in case you forgot, that’s my way of reminding you all that the seasons are reversed down here, so it’s spring soon-to-be summer. While I’ve gotten used to this idea, it does seem strange to think Temperatures range from the cool upper-teens to mid-twenties; it’s classic mid-spring weather, only it’s in Celsius instead of Fahrenheit. Anyway, now that we’ve got that exciting little tidbit out of the way…

One of the more exciting pieces of news of the week is that I started up a new Bible Study. Now, in addition to Wednesday evenings at UCT, I also will have a Tuesday Bible Study at the Cape Town campus of CPUT (Cape Peninsula University of Technology), which is just down the road from where I work at the ASF office. I’ve participated in many Bible Studies, and each has been different and informative in its own way. In the days of ECM BrewHaha Bible Studies in Newark, we were lucky to make it through a chapter a week, but through the discussions we had each Monday when we gathered for lunch, we learned a lot about life. Since I am still learning myself, the approach I’ve taken to leading Bible Studies has been the method where (one of the students or) I read a passage aloud and then, I ask them to share a word/phrase/verse that stood out to them or rose a question. If I can think of good questions while I’m preparing for Bible Study, I’ll ask those, but mostly I want to be more of a facilitator than some sort of instructor (as we would say in English Ed courses - a guide on the side rather than a sage on the stage :-) ). I was a bit anxious leading my first Bible Study at CPUT – especially when twenty-five students showed up, but the approach I selected seemed to work really well. We made it through less than a chapter-and-a-half of Jeremiah (I chose Jeremiah because I love love love the first chapter with the verses where Jeremiah is called), but there was energy and discussion and debate. Almost all of the students spoke up and got involved! It was so exciting. The Bible Study I’m running at UCT is much smaller with less debate, but it provides a more intimate setting for our discussions of Esther, which leads to a very different set of questions that still seem to overlap with the Jeremiah discussion in the strangest of places. Thanks and blessings to everyone back home for all of your love and prayers and support. I feel so blessed to be here, but I do miss you all. (PS – I LOVE mail, in case you were wondering…)

Music: My favorite band, Sugarland, just released a new album The Incredible Machine <33333 – “Little Miss” just might be my new theme song, but the whole country/rock album is definitely worth some attention.

3 comments:

  1. So very cool to be leading these Bible studies. I am excited that you are tangibly engaging with college students and enjoying what you’re doing! Congrats! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, why is it that your Bible studies groups sound like so much more fun and a lot more interesting than the ones taught, not moderated or guided or even "saged" by Mrs. Marker when I was young(er)? They both sound like something I'd enjoy - I think both the spirited debates and the more sedate and intimate group chats could be stimulating and motivating. Characteristics that I can't remember as being descriptive of Mrs. Marker's classes... and I can still remember vignettes of some of the sessions vividly.

    Ha, your seasons are reversed, your thermometer comfort-zones meaningless, your measurements strange for a non-scientist and you're driving on the wrong side of the road... and upside-down compared to those of us who are right-side up - up here. And, in the immortal words of Paul Hogan, aka Crocodile Dundee, (when referring to Americans while soliciting them/us to visit Australia in a tourism TV commercial) - "...you lot *do* have a strange accent." You're certainly at no loss for interesting distractions and attractions.

    Enjoy it the way that other country song suggests.

    Love and xoxxxxox,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leading Bible study on two campuses! Wow!

    ReplyDelete